Chief Marketing Officer | Vice President – Marketing, Strategy and Sales | Software Products and ServicesProven international executive with a University of Illinois MBA, a record of B2B results across strategy, product portfolio management, marketing, sales and operations, and 15+ years of experience in enterprise-level services and technology, product and portfolio management, go to market strategy and execution. Avid social media strategist and award-winning brand creator who quickly connects the customer conversation with market forces and economic drivers to create productive action plans. Team mobilizer, careful listener and dynamic communicator skilled at driving change and cultivating a culture of innovation. Strategic influencer, articulate presenter and effective negotiator who transforms challenges into competitive wins.
- Vision, Mission, Strategy, Planning & Execution
- Organization Alignment, Motivation & Restructuring
- Investor Relations, Capital-raising, PE, VC, IPO
- Scalable Business Models, Partner & Alliance Programs
- Sales Strategy, Process, Execution & Performance
- Lead Generation, Channels & Pipeline Development
- Segmentation Research & Product Portfolio Management
- Brand Building, Positioning & Message Development
- Integrated Marketing, Marketing Communications & PR
- Mobile Applications & Cloud Platforms (SaaS / PaaS)
- Business-driven Roadmaps & Product Development
- M&A, Merger Integration & Make vs. Buy Analysis
- Reengineered and launched a global corporate brand simultaneously across all marketing and product programs directly realigning multiple acquired brands into a strong industry position (GEOMAGIC & PARADIGM GEOPHYSICAL).
- Established new $100+ million retail software line of business by creating a new solution and go-to-market strategy to capture opportunity in a tiered multi-channel professional design engineering software market (AUTODESK).
- Developed M&A strategies for growth from complementary business. Analyzed, negotiated, closed and integrated acquisitions ranging in size from $1 to $100 million (AUTODESK, REED BUSINESS INFORMATION & LEICA GEOSYSTEMS).
- Transformed sensitive SOX compliance and FCPA regulatory situation into resilient, positive publicity opportunity that implemented new global code of business conduct (COBC) and averted deeper crisis. (PARADIGM GEOPHYSICAL).
- Aligned existing teams on new strategic direction while building new globally dispersed organizations from scratch in as little as 3 months in order to achieve short-term traction. (AUTODESK, PARADIGM & VISTRACKS).
- Defined market opportunity that raised capital, restructured organizations and achieved growth targets to satisfy stakeholder expectations. (PARADIGM, Private Equity turnaround for IPO & VISTRACKS, Venture Capital fundraising).
Company: Advisory firm transforming reactive companies into agile market-driving category leaders with sustainable traction.
Challenge: Founded firm in 2002 to advise B2B companies on business challenges and help them adapt to develop short-term traction as they reengineer strategies for the long-term and drive creativity, ideas, customer-centric design thinking and new innovation.
Outcome: Advisor to businesses and startups in development phases from firm-creation and pivot strategies to expansion stage. Past corporate clients: SAP, University of Illinois, Danaher, Reed Business Information, TPG Partners and Bain Company.
- Advised on merger & acquisition strategy and growth potential for private equity. Developed analyst crisis management strategy. Provided guidance on organization, opportunity profiling, innovation jump-start, sustainable growth and profit.
- Served as executive to new companies and innovators on opportunity assessment, strategy, revenue & business models, customer & user experience, product development, social media marketing and pitch coaching for capital raising & sales.
Company: Mobile/SaaS/PaaS Cloud-based M2M business intelligence startup for real-time location-based predictive analytics.
Challenge: Engaged to accelerate commercialization of a bootstrap-stage startup and develop ground-up sales, marketing, and operations. Defined market segmentation and product-line architecture, Served as Board Secretary.
Team: Team of two.
Outcome: Forged a company out of think-tank technology. Created a vision for a scalable cloud / mobile app platform. Established a business model, cash-flow and sales strategy around solution segments in 120 days. Full P&L responsibility.
- Repositioned the company as a technology and services platform provider, set vision, mission, strategic direction and goals, initiated partner channel strategy creating a commercial business with recognizable traction in first 120 days.
- Developed all sales and brand identity tools and instilled a results-based and efficiency-driven culture with performance metrics within second 120 days. Initialized a sales process, lead flow and strategic direction across entire organization.
- Garnered mission-critical SPRINT WIRELESS partnership through execution of a lean marketing program. Tightened value-based positioning and aligned with integrated web/media strategy under limited pre-funding budget.
- Devised 3-year financial model for VC pitch, guided $4.3 million corporate valuation, wrote business plan and private placement memorandum (PPM) and leveraged partner-centric model in anticipation of expansion stage growth.
- Sourced venture capital funding and pitched to over 25 VC firms.
Company: Leader in 3D subsurface asset management solutions and consulting services for oil and gas, and mining industries worldwide.
Challenge: Recruited to repair a broken global marketing organization, centralize marketing and position Private Equity (PE) turn-around for IPO. Integrated all marketing execution around single brand, drove scalability and fiscal efficiency.
Team: Globally distributed team of 16.
Outcome: Helped drive Paradigm from $144 million to $208 million in revenue by making marketing a core competency. Built a high-performance globally-distributed team from scratch and fulfilled the CEO’s vision for Open Innovation.
- Spearheaded sales-focused marketing, internal culture shift and marketing metrics spanning 36 locations in 28 countries in the midst of newly discovered FCPA violations requiring remedial SOX, crisis communications, and publicity solutions.
- Positioned Paradigm on equal footing with larger competitors (HAL and SLB) and prepared for initial public offering (IPO). Authored persuasive investor pitch and dynamic content for analysts and press. Outcome: Achieved over $1 billion IPO valuation on NASDAQ and EuroNext with editorial visibility in the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, & Financial Times.
- Captured $3.6 million in new sales annually through corporate website overhaul and implementation of value-based message framework and integrated online marketing strategy to drive CAGR of 27% and reduce marketing cost 25%.
- Bolstered corporate valuation by building formal trademark / service mark portfolio, policies, and processes. Increased intellectual property portfolio value by $25 million in brand valuation for IPO and averted loss of marks to competitors.
- Earned more than 30 awards for product innovation and interactive marketing excellence in recognition of industry powerhouse position, including Edison Innovation Award, BMA Lantern, Marcom, AVA, ACE, and ADDY Awards.
Company: Provider of 3D software for creating digital models of physical objects serving manufacturing, medical and dental industries.
Challenge: Challenged to establish vertical industry marketing, strengthen competitive advantage, and penetrate new industries, while transforming chief executive’s vision into a plan for a new strategic direction.
Team: Team of four.
Outcome: Laid groundwork for projected 30%+ YOY expansion stage growth positioning the company for new vertical industries. Gained critical industry recognition, including INC Magazine Entrepreneur of the Year, and Deloitte Fast 50 award.
- Recast business strategy and marketing team around vertical industries with individual market P&L metrics and forged co-marketing alliances with scanner hardware and solution partners including: FARO, HEXAGON, KONICA MINOLTA, and others.
- Increased annual revenue $10 million within 12 months, through company-wide overhaul of brand and marketing that tripled return on marketing investment (ROMI) from first-ever lead tracking system and formalized project planning.
- Saved $600,000 in annual expenses, leading transition to virtual marketing team. Enhanced visibility and industry recognition with formal PR plan that produced $1 million in equivalent advertising value per quarter.
Company: Laser-scanning & modeling unit of $650 million Swiss engineering instrument firm (acquired by Hexagon AB).
Challenge: Recruited to create a new software business aligned with market segments. Led divisional marketing for High Definition Surveying and sales-driven product strategy with oversight, web, brand, advertising, and PR.
Team: Distributed team of six.
Outcome: Forged complementary software business with $200 million in projected incremental revenue over 5 years, surpassing first year targets. Transformed loss-leader software team into product and sales champions.
- Trimmed $400,000 in annual salary expenses (60%) and boosted quality and outcomes by reducing marketing team 65% and outsourcing marketing objectives on a project basis.
- Laid groundwork to capture $200 million in new sales through the design of a strategic integrated sales and marketing business plan targeting high-value commercial/industrial markets via a vertical industry approach.
Company: Global leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software with $2 billion in revenue.
Challenge: Promoted rapidly through senior leadership roles with increasing levels of responsibility, including: Director of Marketing, Senior Alliances Manager, Senior Manager–Strategic Projects and Senior Quality Assurance Manager.
Team: Managed global teams of up to 30.
Outcome: Spearheaded product innovation for AutoCAD LT, Autodesk’s second-largest-revenue-producing solution, from concept to retail-channel launch, generating $65 million in first year annual revenue. Developed the business for an embedded system (OEM version of AutoCAD) to add $20 million in incremental first year revenue to the bottom line.
- Developed the business for an embedded system (OEM version of AutoCAD) to add $20 million in incremental first year revenue to the bottom line.
- Executed M&A strategies, including $125 million and $7 million US companies (to become new business units) and $5 million Swedish technology acquisitions resulting in growth-driving product line extensions to core design products.
- Cultivated $80 million in annual revenue by fostering third-party developer services partner relationships with companies such as INTEL, MICROSOFT, IBM, and NVIDIA, supporting 3,000+ member international application developer network.
- Association of Strategic Planning
- Association of Strategic Marketing
- American Marketing Association
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, ILLINOIS Launch Startup Program (advisor)
- University of Chicago, Booth Graduate School of Business Entrepreneurs Round Table
- Chicago Thrive Leadership Group
Measured in terms of business results, led award winning teams to achieve the following awards and recognition for innovation, integrated marketing, advertising, content, video, online programs, website design and corporate branding:
- Edison Innovation Award, 2009,
- 13 BMA Lantern Awards,
- ACE Advertising Award
- Addy Award
- Marcom Editor’s Choice Awards
- AVA Award
AEC, Analytics, Architecture, Building Information Modeling, Building Products Manufacturer, Business Intelligence, Construction, Design, E&P, Education, Energy, Engineering, Exploration and Production, Geographical Information Systems, Geospatial, GIS, Informatics, Laser Scanning, Location Based Services, Medical and Dental Device Manufacturing, Medical Imaging, Oil and Gas, Subsurface Asset Management, Telematics.
Acquisition Integration, Agile Marketing, Alliances, Analytics, Blue Ocean Strategy, Business Modeling, Business Strategy, Business Transformation, Capture Value, Change Leadership, Corporate Development, Corporate Storytelling, Create Value, Crisis Management, Crowdsourcing, Design Thinking, Digital Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Executive Management, Failure Innovation, Funding, Global Branding, Go-to-market Strategy, Growth Capital, Innovation, International Marketing, Intrapreneurship, Marketing Strategy, Mergers, Open Innovation, Organizational Change, P&L Management, Partner Programs, Pervasive Marketing, Pervasive Strategy, Platforms, Private Equity, Product Strategy, Sales Process, Sentiment Analysis, Social Media, Strategic Thinking, Strategy Development, Sustain Value, User Experience, Venture Capital, Voice of the Customer.
Graduated with Academic Excellence. Capstone at global manufacturer in China.
Sigma Gamma Epsilon Honor Society – Founding Member, Delta Psi Chapter